Anodyne Therapy: A Photo-Energy Treatment Modality
Indications - Conditions Anodyne Therapy Helps
Anodyne Therapy is cleared by FDA for temporarily
- Increasing Circulation and
- Reducing Pain, Stiffness and Muscle Spasm
Therefore, any condition that would benefit from these actions may benefit from the effects of this infrared therapy device.
Circulatory Problems and Pain
There is a significant problem with under diagnosis of poor extremity circulation, and sometimes even pain - especially in patients with impaired cognition. Medical providers, case managers, and therapists should be vigilant in monitoring all patients for evidence of problems. Early intervention with therapy such as Anodyne may help prevent the devastating illness/disability occurring when poor circulation insidiously progresses--possibly preventing loss of limb or life.
Signs of Poor Extremity Circulation and/or Pain (a partial listing):
- History of Falls
- Shuffling Gait
- Diabetic Shoes
- Cold Feet
- Drop Foot
- Lack of Pedal Hair, Toenails
- Night Leg Pain, Restless Legs Syndrome
- Lower Extremity Ulcers or Amputations
Causes of Circulatory Problems/Extremity Pain
Over 20 million people have conditions that can cause painful, circulatory problems in the extremities. Current treatments do not effectively control these circulatory conditions, leading to quality of life issues. Common causes include:
- Metabolic conditions (diabetes, hyper/ class='g5-color-pirmary'hypothyroidism)
- Vascular disease (peripheral vascular disease, peripheral arterial disease, intermittent claudication)
- Cancer (chemotherapy related)
- Medications (statins, antibiotics)
- Infectious diseases (HIV/AIDS, Lyme Disease)
- Vitamin deficiencies (B12, folate, magnesium)
- Raynauds Syndrome/Scleroderma
- Poisoning from toxins (lead, mercury)
- Compartment syndromes/spinal compression/stenosis
- Entrapment syndromes
- Hereditary conditions (Charcot Marie Tooth)
- Idiopathic (unknown)
Causes of Chronic Pain
Over 30% of seniors have pain or circulatory problems that would benefit from physical therapy and Anodyne therapy, but unfortunately, many are never referred for this therapy. Additionally, it has been found that people with chronic pain often do not have enough active/free nitric oxide. Anodyne therapy is particularly effective as a component for treatment of these problems.
Over 70 million people have chronic pain. Common causes include:
- Poor circulation. Lack of blood flow, nutrients and oxygen to nerves causes severe pain. Feels similar to putting severely cold hands into warm water until blood flow normalizes.
- Inflammation/swelling ("itis"), muscle spasms. Cause pressure/pinching of nerves with resultant pain. May receive prescription anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone shots, muscle relaxants.
- Scar tissue from injury or surgery. Reduces flexibility of surrounding tissues, pulling and tearing them, causing pain. Often interferes with movements as a result.
- Nerve damage from trauma, surgery, or disease (chronic or acute) causes pain.